Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Darlin'

I remember very clearly the first time I had Annie all to myself. She was two or three days old...maybe just one. Jared's buddies were all getting together at Wingers and since only my meal was free at the hospital, I told him to go get some fresh air. I asked the nurses to bring my baby to me.

I held her close.

I kissed her beautiful itty bitty head

I cried.

But most definitely not tears of sadness. I was so happy. So life alteringly happy. All I've ever wanted in this life is to be a Mom. I've known it my whole life. It's what I am here for, what I am destined to be. I know it as surely as I know God lives. I felt as though my life had been turned upside down when I found out it wouldn't be easy to get pregnant. By now I had planned on having two kids.

But in the moment alone with my sweet baby girl, snuggled into my chest with the lights dimmed I snuggled her back and promised her the world. Promised her that no matter what and no matter how, she would always be loved and I would always be there for her and be her very best friend.


I heard this song today. It's called My Darling and it's sung by Ryan Tanner. It made me think of this moment. A moment shared by only Annie and myself. She will never remember this moment, but I will never forget it. 

My Darlin'
Go back to sleep now
My darlin
And I'll keep all the bad dreams away
Breathe now, think sweet things
And I'll think of all the right words to say

Because we made you
My darlin
With the love in each of our hearts
We were a family, my darlin
Right from the start

Grow up now
My darlin
Please don't you grow up too fast
And be sure, my darlin
To make all the good times last

Because we made you
My darlin
With the love in each of our hearts
We were a family, my darlin
Right from the start

No comments:

Post a Comment