Thursday, February 5, 2009

The most delicious bread...EVER

I haven't made a lot of different kinds of breads, mostly what comes out of the betty crocker cookbook. But I had a friend post a recipe for some bread and I thought...why not. Well it turned out amazing! I love it. So much that I'm going to post the recipe on my blog too (hope you don't mind Erika)!

Rabbit Hill Inn Oatmeal Molasses Bread
from Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread, A Country Inn Cookbook by Crescent Dragonwagon.
2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick cook oatmeal
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
Put this in the mixer bowl and let sit for 30 minutes.
2 tablespoons active dry yeast (Recipe calls for 1 tablespoon, but for some reason I use 2)
1/2 cup room temp water
Mix together and let sit for 10 minutes
Add to oatmeal:
1/2 cup molasses (I didn't have any molasses so I just used honey)
2 teaspoons salt
yeast and water mixture.
Mix everything well together.
Add:
2 cups whole wheat flour, 3 cups white bread flour
Mix on slowest setting using the dough hook. After everything is kind of together, switch to second to knead setting (#2) and set your timer for 8 minutes. Watch for a bit and if it isn't coming entirely together, assist manually or add more flour if it's too liquidy.
Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with dishtowel. Let sit until doubled, about 40 minutes if you use 2 T yeast. Cut in half and roll each half into a loaf and put in loaf pan and cover. Set timer for 30 minutes and when timer rings, turn oven onto 375 degrees. When oven is hot, put loaves in for 30 minutes. Turn out of pans right after they come out of the oven. (Makes 2 loaves...and I like those glass loaf pans)

Thanks for sharing Erika! I plan on making this again!

5 comments:

  1. that looks SO good! I'm going to have to try it this weekend! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bread, too. I usually make it with honey, but I tried molasses last time. I think I prefer the honey flavor better, but I love the color the molasses gives the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you like it and I don't mind at all! In fact...here's what we have been doing with it lately:
    Substitute honey for the molassas, and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar in it as you make it into a loaf (I roll mine into a loaf and it makes a pretty little swirl). It's great for toast and makes a great gift for sick friends or someone who needs to feel a little love. I have to come up with a name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy. I really need to start making bread. It's an art I truly appreciate, but most of the time the closest thing I get to homemade is a trip to Great Harvest:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was planning on making homemade bread today. I'm totally going to try this instead of my usual go to recipe. Thanks Kate!

    ReplyDelete